Sights in Balatonfüred and in the surrounding

Town Museum
The exhibition in the former villa of the bath director focuses on four top¬ics: trasport, medicinal bath, Anna-balls and theatre in order to present the life of 19th century Balatonfüred. The Lo¬cal History Collection with a rich li¬brary and the Visitor’s Centre can also be found int he building.

8230 Balatonfüred, Blaha u. 3.
06-21-200-2452
info@furedkult.hu
www.furedkult.hu


Jókai Mór Memorial House
The outstanding Hungarian writer of the 19th century, Mór Jókai wrote his probably most popu¬lar novel, the Golden Man in this villa built in 1870. This unique exhibition gives us a glance into the everyday life and social events of his family.

8230 Balatonfüred, Honvéd u. 1.
Tel.: +36-21-200-24-53
info@furedkult.hu
www.furedkult.hu


Vaszary-Villa
The beautifully rebuilt Vaszary Castle, the former resort of archbishop Kolos Vaszary. The exhibitions are completed with museum educational classes and handcraft activities for kids led by an art specialist, exciting concerts and literary programs.

8230 Balatonfüred, Honvéd 2-4.
+36-21-200-24-54
info@furedkult.hu
www.furedkult.hu


The villa of Blaha Lujza
The Villa of Blaha Lujza (‘the nightingale of the nation’) now Blaha Lujza Hotel and Restaurant was built in 1861.

8230 Balatonfüred, Blaha L. u. 4.
Tel.: +36 87/581-210, Fax: +36 87/581-219
www.hotelblaha.hu


Anna Grand Hotel****
Anna Grand Hotel used to be a big inn and kursalon. It accomodates the Anna-balls every July.

8230 Balatonfüred, Gyógy tér 1.
Tel.: +36 87/581-200, Fax: +36 87/581-201
www.annagrand.hu


Horváth-house

The first Anna-ball was held here in 1825. The house was built in 1798 in copf style. Nowadays flats and shops can be found in Horváth-House.
8230 Balatonfüred, Gyógy tér


Kossuth Lajos sour water- spring and pump-room
The guests and patients can taste the fa¬mous sour water of Balatonfüred in the pump-room on the place in front of the heart diseases for heart diseases. The room was built in 1800 in classicis¬tic style and rebuilt in 1853.

8230 Balatonfüred, Gyógy tér


State hospital for heart diseases
It was buit between 1869-71., several famous politicians, scientists and poets were cured here.

8230 Balatonfüred, Gyógy tér 2.
Tel.: +36 87/584-539
www.bfkor.hu


Panteon Füred

The memorial boards of famous writ¬ers, artists and scientists with a link to Balatonfüred can be seen here.

8230 Balatonfüred, Gyógy tér 1.


Tagore Promenade
The promenade is named after the No¬belist Indian Poet Rabindranath Tagore who was healed in autumn 1926 in the Hospital for Heart Diseases. On the be¬ginning of the promenade his memorial tree and statue can be seen. In the park of memorial trees famous poets, politi¬tians and scientists have planted trees.


The figures of fisherman and the ferryman


Villa of the Dőry family
The hotel that was reconstructed for summer 2004 had also operated un¬der the name Astoria between the two World Wars. After the reconstruction one of the sights of Balatonfüred re¬gained its original image and beauty.

8230 Balatonfüred, Jókai u. 28.
Tel.: +36 87/343-643
www.astoriaszallo.hu


The residence of Széchenyi Ferenc
Built in 1790, now: Secondary School of Horticulture.

8230 Balatonfüred, Hősök tere 1.
Tel.: +36 87/342-662


Peasant Houses in Siske steet


Kisfaludy Gallery
Lázár Neumann rented the building of the Gallery from the Benedictine Abbey of Tihany and used it as a restaurant in the 19th century. In 1914 the restaurant was rebuilt as a ’mobile theatre’, which means that it was rebuilt as a build¬ing serving as a venue for cinema and theatrical performances with changing rooms and confectionary. The building was reconstructed in 2004 in the scope of the „Balaton-part Ékköve” (Gem of Lake Balaton) project. It has been the home of fi ne art since then.
Open: till 31st Aug. 10.00-22.00, from 1st Sept. to 31st Oct. 12.00-18.00 Tu-Su, from 1st Nov. to 15th March 2010 11.00-17.00 Tu-Fr

8230 Balatonfüred, Kisfaludy u. 1.
Tel.: +36 87/481-187

Arácsi Folkhause (Lóczy Lajos Str. 60)

Exhibitions:

• History of the Post
• Trophy Exhibition of Ferenc Schneider
• Mineral and rock exhibition

Open: 1th October - 30th April 13.00-17.00,
1th May -30th September: 15.00 - 19.00, Monday, Thurdsay: closed


Harbour
The ships run between 8.30 a.m. and 8.00 p.m. every day from middle of April to middle of Oc¬tober to the major towns on the Balaton-shore.

Tel.: +36 87/342-230
www.balatonihajozas.hu


Roman Catholic (Red) Church

Mass: Sunday: 9.00, 19.00

8230 Balatonfüred, Szent István tér 1.
Tel: +36 87/343-198


Round hurch and gallery
The church was built between 1841-46 in clas¬sicistic style, in summer the renovated gallery in the basement accommodates art-exhibitions.
Mass: Sunday: 11.00

8230 Balatonfüred, Blaha u.1
Tel.: +36 87/343-198


Catholic church in Arács
8230 Balatonfüred, Koloska u.
Mass: Sunday: 11.00


Evgangelical-Lutheran Church
Mass: Sunday: 9.00

Bajcsy-Zs. u. 15.
Tel.: +36 87/788-381, +36 87/343-330


Reformed White church

Built in classicistic style in 1829.
Mass: Sunday: 9.30

8230 Balatonfüred, Óvoda u. 1.
Tel.: +36 87/342-795


Reformed church in Arács
Mass: Sunday: 10.00

8230 Balatonfüred, Lóczy L. u. 70.
Tel.: +36 87/342-662


The ruins of the St. Michael Church

Church from the 12th-13th century.
On he way to Balatonszõlõs.


Lóczy Cave
Named after the world-famous re¬searcher of Lake Balaton, Lajos Lóczy sr., is nearly 150 m long and 20 m special deep cave – regarding its morphology –.
Open: 28th April - 30th September 10.00-18.00
Tickets: Adult: 500 Ft,discount: 400 Ft.  children: 300 Ft

End of Öreghegyi street
Tel.: +36 87 555 291


www.bfnpi.hu


Koloska valley
Besides Koloska spring a place for relaxa¬tion and cooking, places for grilling, forest sports path and a study path of forestry and environmental protection were cre¬ated. It is marked by tourist path signs.


Jókai lookout tower – Tamás-hill
From the top of the Tamás-hill there is a wonderful view to the Balaton and the surrounding towns.
 

Small forest
The remaining columns of the first Hungarian-speaking Permanent Thea¬tre of Transdanubia built in 1831 can be seen here. Int the Small Forest a playground and tennis courts provide relaxation.


Gombás mansion
It was built at the end of the 18th century in Copf style. Nowadays it is a mansion.

8230 Balatonfüred, Arácsi út 94.
Tel.: +36 87/340-080

 


The sights of the surrounding

Balatonakali
The former fishing village Balatonakali today is still referred to as a great fishing place, at the same time is still known by its grapes- and its wineculture. The prove of the above (reputation) is the bottling plant operating first in this village in the whole Balaton region. The village has still kept the features of its old folk architecture which can be seen on the Kossuth street’s peasant houses. The well-conditioned beach, boardwalk, ship port, three international camping, cultural programs, fishing facility, water sports are to provide the guests’ comfort. The restaurants are waiting for the guests with Hungarian taste of food, the wine-grovers are waiting for the guests with the famous wines of region, the private accomodations are waiting the comming guest with the Hungarian style of hospitality.


Csopak
The picturesque environment of Csopak attracts the artists, the people who wish to relax and the enthusiasts of the nature. The beach of Csopak, the summer programs, the friendly cellars of Csopak and the hospitality of the village wait for the guests. The most important historic sights of Csopak are: Csonkatorony (Stumpy Tower), Plul Water mill, Saint Miklós church ruins and the Ranolder Castle. The arts lover can watch newer and newer exhibitions in Csopak Gallery. Csopak is famous for its grape and wine culture. The summer programs are also related to the wine, at the end of June the Balaton Fish and Wine Festival, the Night of the Riesling, in the middle of July the 2nd Cellar Opening Festival, at the 2nd part of July the 1st Csopak Wine and Soda (Fröccs) Festival with the 6th Ulti party, at the end of July – at the beginning of August the Tuesday Wine Evenings and Cso¬pak days – Wine week between 18-22 August. At the beginning of August Latin atmosphere can be felt at the beach during the ‘Csopakabana’ festival. In the middle of September in the vintage programs the Grape and Scarecrow Day and the popular Vintage Dishes Festival are organized. Information: www.csopak.hu

Örvényes
Örvényes, which is a small settlement with 170 inhabitants, is situated on the northern shore of the Lake Balaton. Nowadays the people in Örvényes are engaged in grape, wine culture and letting rooms. Örvényes is surrounded by the National Park of the Balaton-Highland, where pleasant trips can be made: for example to the valley of the Pécsely stream, to the old oak trees or to the ruins of Zádorvár. Örvényes beach is nice and quiet, where you do not have to pay ticket. Although Örvényes is a small settlement it is rich in historic monuments. The water-mill (1055), the famous historic monument of the village, can be found some meters from the main street. In the XVIII. century rebuilt miller house ethnographical and folk art collection can be found. The protected historic monument, the stone bridge, which was built in the XVIII. century in Baroque style, can be found next to the water-mill, and it is decorated by the statue of Nepomuki St. János (end of 1700). The church (1200) of the village, which was built in Roman style in the Middle Ages, can be found on a hill above the mill. Saint Imre church (1778-1783) was built in late-Barouque style. In the village 2 crosses can be found, one of them (XIII. century) in the graveyard, and the other on the way to the wineyard. The folk monument house can be found in St. Imre street.

 

Tihany
The picturesque location, the geological curiosities, the historical landmarks, the botanical and zoological rarities of the only peninsula of Lake Balaton attract nearly a million tourists each year. The forebear to today’s town of Tihany was founded in the Middle Ages when King Andrew I. had the royal burial grounds and the monastery above it built in 1055. He populat¬ed the monastery with Benedictine monks, thereby starting the life of the Benedictine abbey. The monastery, converted into a castle during the Ottoman Wars in the 16th-17th centuries, was destroyed but has been rebuilt in the 18th century in baroque style and to this day stands on the eastern pinnacle above Lake Balaton as the ancient symbol of Tihany. Beyond the geological curiosities, the peninsula is also host to rare plants and animals and the peninsula is the first to have been declared a landscape-protection area in Hungary and is being overseen by the Direc¬torate of the Balaton-Highland National Parks.
The peninsula is the first which has been declared as landscape-protec¬tion area in Hungary.Countless hiking opportunities present themselves: the Monk Lodgings, the Goldhouse, and the Kiserdõ hilltop – the list goes on.
Tihany’s wine-growing culture goes back a long time. Characteristic wines are on the peninsula Merlot, Zweigelt and Cabarnet.

Lavendel house, Tel.: +36 87 538 033, www.levendulahaz.eu

Museums and Exhibitions in Tihany
Doll MuseumVisszhang Str. 4. • Tel.: +36 87/448-431
Museum and Churchof the Benedictine AbbeyI. András Sqr. 1. • Tel.: +36 87/538-200
Waxwork of Hungarian Kingsand Pirate MuseumKossuth Str. 35. • Tel.: +36 30/946-8220
Marzipan MuseumBatthyány Str. 17. • Tel.: +36 30/216-8191
Outdoor Folk MuseumPisky Promenade 12. • Tel.: +36 87/714-960
Hungarian History(Audiovisual spectacular)Postaköz 1. • Tel.: +36 30/864-8373

Zánka
Zánka is an intimate village at the gate of Nivegy-valley, on the shore of Lake Balaton. Its historic monument with nationwide significance is the Christian Reformed Church built in the 11th century. The other sight of the village is its Village Museum (’Tájház’) from the 18th century. The Vil¬lage House (’Faluház’) is the centre of the local cultural life.
Departing from the village you can reach the most beautiful tourist-destinations of the country in half an hour: the Kali-Basin, the Tihany Peninsula, Balatonfüred, Nagyvázsony, Badacsony, Szigliget, Tapolca. The emblem of Zánka is Hegyestű. The first geopark of the country was established here, too. The Children and Youth Centre, the former Pi¬oneer Town (’Úttörõváros’), which is the national centre of youth tourism, belongs to Zánka. Its sailing and ship port is open. On the territory of the Children and Youth Centre an adventure park was established. The establishment is suitable for the vacation of disadvantaged children, too.
Zánka gave the name of the local Wine Route Association, which is the main organizer of wine tourism of the villages in Nivegy-valley. The Wine Route Association organizes the Pentecostal Wine Festival every year. Because of its excellent facilities the village is one of the centres of fishing tourism as well. The cycle path around Lake Balaton goes across Zánka. The local riding school welcomes guests all the year. In Zánka there was a Riding Festival, it provides possibilities to develop riding tourism.
In the village you can find numerous pensions and private quar¬ters in addition to the restaurants of high quality. The Children and Youth Centre has got a hotel, too, which accepts holiday tickets (’üdülési csekk’) from its guests.
Among the programmes of Zánka the Fishermen Days in summer and the Grape Harvest Festival in autumn are out¬standing.